Otters Rally Falls Short in Kingston, Frontenacs Prevail 7-4

Matt Mead

Kingston, Ontario – The Erie Otters rallied from down four goals to close the gap to one, but the Frontenacs power play was able to slam the door shut with a pair of power play goals in the third. The score falls to the wayside as both teams were thrilled to learn Brendan Kischnick is conscious, alert and has feeling in his extremities after a headfirst collision to the end boards in the second period.


The game began with former Otter Brett Neumann scoring on a breakaway to put the home team ahead, but this was immediately followed by Erie captain Kyle Maksimovich snapping a wrist shot over Kingston netminder Ryan Dugas to even the game at one just four minutes into action. Minutes later, Jacob Paquette trickled through a scrum of players to put away a generous rebound and elevate the Frontenacs back ahead. The period closed out with a pair of goals from Jason Robertson and Dawson Baker that put the Frontenacs ahead 4-1 heading into the first intermission.


To start the second Daniel Murphy replaced Erie starting goalie Noah Battaglia in hopes to spark the team. A little after the 12 minute mark, Robertson would finish off a setup from Brett Neumann to extend the lead to four. The game came to a halt with 5:29 left in the second frame when Cameron Hough was assessed a game misconduct for checking from behind on a play that sent Erie defensemen Brendan Kischnick head first into the end boards and left prone on the ice. Medical and emergency staffs acted quickly to treat the 17-year-old who was take to a local hospital by ambulance for further treatment. It was reported by Otters general manager Dave Brown and owner Jim Waters, who both rode with Kischnick to the hospital, that Brendan is conscious and speaking with them as he undergoes further evaluation. The Erie Otters will update on Brendan Kischnick’s as more information is learned.


The second period resumed following an early intermission with the Otters on a five-minute power play. Erie quickly went to work cashing in three times on the man advantage. Chad Yetman would pot a pair while Max Golod netted his first of the season to draw Erie within one at 5-4 heading into the third period.


Erie would find themselves in penalty trouble where the Frontenacs would build up their lead once again with Jason Robertson completing the hat trick on his 12th of the season, followed by a Brett Neumann 5-on-3 goal to ice the game 7-4.

The Otters round out their five-day road trip with their only visit in Ottawa to take on the 67’s Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m.

More News
Nine Erie Otters Alumni Advance to Stanley Cup Playoffs
23 hours ago
Community Partners Spotlight - Education and Community Services
2 days ago
Community Partners Spotlight - Business Services
3 days ago
OHL Announces Return to Play Plans
1 week ago
Stanley Cup Playoffs Alumni Tracker
2 weeks ago
Warm-Up Jersey Auction Raises Nearly $5,000.00 for Highmark Caring Place
2 weeks ago